Monday, June 21, 2010

Cookies and more cookies from the pig pen

Last week our two oldest children, Big Sissy and Bubby, had Vacation Bible School and I was asked to provide the cookies for snack time on Friday for 68 kids and around 20 teachers and helpers.  So more or less, I needed 100 cookies.  The kids probably would have been happy with store bought cookies, but as I've said before I love to bake so it was a good excuse for the kids and I to bake

We decided to make Monster Cookies.  We love these cookies; however, we never make them.  They are easy to make but the batter becomes so large it requires several bowls to make them.  The recipe says that it makes 100, but the last time I made them we only got 80 so we 1 1/2 the recipe and ended up with more than enough, around 12 dozen actually. 


Per the recipe, you are to simply mix together all of the ingredients in a large bowl.  From my experience, it is not quite that easy so as you can see I have created several small steps with my notes in the cookbook.  (My mother-in-law gave me the amazing idea to write notes about the recipe in the cookbook. Often I just keep notes on if the recipe was a good one or not, but on the Monster Cookie recipe, I wrote myself directions on which bowls to use and such.  This is such a great tip.)


By following my own steps, we were able to minimize the number of dirty dishes created; however, we did have to get out my big Christmas bowl. The positive of this is it did give both Big Sissy and Bubby their own bowl to stir.
Bubby cracking the eggs.  He loves to crack eggs.
  
The egg, corn syrup, butter, peanut butter, and vanilla mixture to be mixed with my Kitchen Aid mixer.

Bubby using his hands to keep the mixture in the bowl.

 
Bubby's yummy mixture

Big Sissy mixing up the dry ingredients with the exception of the oats, chocolate chips, and M&Ms. 

The oats, chocolate chips, and M&Ms got their own bowl. 
  
Big Sissy adding Bubby's yummy mixture to her dry ingredients. 


Big Sissy and Bubby adding the oat mixture to the batter.

Finally, everything is mixed together and in one bowl.

Using the Pampered Chef scoop is a great way to make cookies a uniform size.

Although my kitchen looked like a disaster after we were done, it was worth it. 


Since we had more than enough, there were extra for us to eat at home.  I'm glad that they are almost gone as I have no will power and have been eating these cookies for breakfast and for an afternoon and evening snack.  At least they have oatmeal in them so they have to be kind of healthy. 


The Girl Creative








 








HappyDay


Blessed with Grace

GBPRecipeRoundUp

11 comments:

  1. What a great project for you and your kids to do. (I see your making the linky party rounds. You should check out tempt my tummy tuesday and it's a blog party tuesday. Just a hint.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics. Their making me hungry. I like that you write in your cookbook. I know my favorite recipes are the ones with my mom's handwriting on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that batter looks so nummy! Your little guy looks like he should be in a Monster Cookie ad with that expression and the thumbs up! And I love the planning ahead so to dirty up the least amount of dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the hint Ott, A. :-)

    It was a lot of fun making these cookies with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! I love cookies like these - with a little substance! Welcome to Tuesday Tastes! Thanks for sharing such a tasty recipe! I am going to have to try these!

    Happy Day,
    Jasey @ Crazy Daisy
    crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love monster cookies, Heather...and I loved that your kidders were able to help you make them! I use my PC scoop for that, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are my kid brothers favorite with him requesting this to be made birthdays and holidays

    ReplyDelete
  8. :-) Love his expression and thumbs up in the last photo!
    Visiting from Tuesday Tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Heather, your blog was recommended to me, and I'm glad it was! I'll be back to visit, I'm your newest follower on Google.

    Your kids look like they loved every minute of making cookies with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh looks yummy. I've wondered how many soybean farmers there were in the US. Especially with alot of things turning to soy. Soy milk, soy wax, etc. I myself prefer soy wax with my candle making. Anywho, following you from meet and greet Monday. Stop by when you get a chance: www..luvsavingmoney.info

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Web Analytics