Saturday, October 15, 2011

Semi-Homemade Pioneer Woman Guacamole

As you know, I usually follow recipes to a T and take very few liberties when baking or cooking.  In fact this was even a topic of discussion on my Goode friend's, Cris from Goodeness Gracious, Facebook page this week.

So I was kind of struggling when I found The Pioneer Woman's guacamole recipe in her cookbook.


It lists 3 ingredients, but provides no measurements.  It uses words like some and big pile when referring to salt and pico de gallo, respectively.  That being said I recently had an epiphany of sorts while reading this recipe, I realized that if I bought pre-made pico de gallo that I could have guacamole in a snap just about anytime we wanted since it wouldn't require any cutting.


I was so thankful this light bulb went off as it allows me to whip up guacamole in heartbeat as an appetizer for friends or even as a quick snack or light meal for The Farmer and me.

Ingredients
Avocados, 3/4 to 1 whole avocado per person per PW
Some Salt (I prefer to use kosher salt.)
Big pile of pico de gallo

Directions
Halve the avocados lengthwise.  Remove the pit and scoop out the insides onto a large plate or bowl.




Sprinkle on some salt and mash way with a fork until you get the avocado to the consistency you want.




Throw on a "big pile of pico de gallo."


Stir together gently and you are ready to eat some yummy guacamole.


Enjoy!

Hints from PW:  Always test guacamole with tortilla chips so you'll get a more accurate gauge of the salt content and adjust the salt to taste.  Additionally to avoid browning, gently press plastic wrap against the surface of the guacamole until serving.  Guacamole will keep in the fridge less than 24 hours.  (This is why I like making it with pre-made pico de gallo as you only have mix up as much as much as you want instead of making up an entire recipe of guacamole.)

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. LOVE guacamole! Glad you are letting yourself go a bit in the kitchen with not so exact measuring. Think of it as an adventure. That's what I do when I add rum to rum cake! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we make guacamole, we add corriander. Also if you squeeze a little lemon or lime juice over the top and add the seed of the avocado it helps keep the guacamole nice and green.

    Linda
    linelu55@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Web Analytics