Saturday, January 8, 2011

A Book Review or Two from the pig pen

Buying good presents isn't always one of The Farmer's good traits.  Now I love him just the same, but he either knocks it out of the park like he has several times with jewelry and we all know diamonds are a girl's best friend or it can often be a big dud.

Well, this Christmas, he really knocked it out of the park and I was completely surprised.

Since Martini introduced me to her Kindle 2 years ago, I have secretly wanted one.  I never really discussed it with anyone but her and I just kept telling myself that my reading binges didn't justify me buying a Kindle.  Plus when I do read, I usually check the book out from our county library as opposed to buying one.  

Well much to my surprise, I opened up a Kindle on Christmas morning from The Farmer.   I was in complete shock especially since we had just given one to his mom the day before for Christmas from us and his younger brother and his girlfriend.

Come to find out, The Farmer had ordered my Kindle right after Thanksgiving and everyone had been keeping the secret since then even Big Sissy.

Needless to say, I was excited and couldn't wait to start using it on the drive to my mom and aunt's later on Christmas Day.  On the drive there, I downloaded a few free books; however, I didn't start reading on it right away as just before Christmas I had checked out 2 Christmas books from our county library that I wanted to finish first. So I hurried up and read them so I could start reading from my Kindle.  (The books I checked out from the library were The Gift by Nora Roberts and Skipping Christmas by John Grisham.  I would recommend them both for a quick Christmas read.)

Since Christmas, I have read The Potluck Club by Linda Evans Shepherd and Eva Marie Everson and Fireflies in December by Jennifer Erin Valent on my Kindle.  

The Potluck Club follows a group of women that get together once a month for a potluck lunch to pray; however, things don't always go as planned.  A nice touch to this book is it even includes some of the recipes they make for their potluck lunches.

Fireflies in December is set in 1932 in Virginia during segregation where the Lassiter family, a white family,  takes in Gemma, a black girl, after her parents are killed in a fire and raise her as one of their children.  This decision, which was the right one, changes everyone's life forever.

Although these books were very different, I really liked both of them and would recommend them.  The real extra bonus is both of these books were the first one in a series so I can continue my reading adventure with The Potluck Club and learn more about the Lassiters and Gemma on my Kindle thanks to my in-laws as I got an Amazon gift card for Christmas to buy books for my Kindle from them.

What book recommendations do you have?
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Anything by Baraba Kingsolver!!! and then there is always Shakespeare (the English teacher in me couldn't forget Uncle Will!) ;-) The Help is another good read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! Glad you are enjoying your gift.

    I read mostly children's novels and (adult) non-fiction. I'm weird like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my husband got me the Kindle too! Make sure to check out the forums on Amazon.com every Monday. They have several about the free book offers of the week. I've found myself reading really good books that I would not have otherwise read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have the Kindle, I was able to snag the Sony E-Reader on Black Friday. I have downloaded about 30 books and only have paid for one of them. They are always having free e-books that I can download. I like my e-reader, I can take it with me out on the farm and when I get stuck with my farmer husband I always have plenty of good reads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun for you! I like the free kindle books & AP for my iPad, too. Free is always good! I'm reading the Kinsey milhone books now: a is for alibi,etc. But i love, love, love Janet evanovich!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just read The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay. A different kind of book that made it to my list of favorites.
    smehary@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Web Analytics