Wednesday, September 22, 2010

It's all about mommy guilt at this pig pen

I have always worked full-time away from the farm even though my love and passion in our family farm

I have been in my current position for almost 3 years. It allows me to work from home when I am not traveling. Thankfully because of where we live in relationship to my territory, I don’t spend many nights away from home usually. I do have a lot of early mornings and a few late nights, but this allows me to maximize my time with my family which is huge. Although I traveled very little with my former job as I worked in an office setting, I truly feel that I spend more time with my kids then I did then as I was gone for several hours every day.

Well due to some last minute meetings and a few other issues, my traveling is a little out of control for the next 6 weeks. Starting today, I will spend 2-4 nights away from home for the next 6 weeks which is resulting in some major mommy guilt for this mommy. It also makes me sad as I will miss the majority of the harvest season on the farm which is one of my favorite times of year.

Besides the time away from my family, the other major bummer is I am flying on different airlines when I have to fly and I am staying in a different hotel chain almost every week which means no major gains in the frequent flyer miles or hotel points which could have been huge for a family get-a-way.

Mommy guilt is not a fun thing and I know all moms suffer from it now and then.  I can only hope that I am doing the right thing for my children at this time and in the future they will understand. So in the mean time, I will relish my weekends with them as thankfully I am home every weekend and will ask The Farmer to send me picture updates thanks to modern technology.
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Hang in there! The 6 weeks will be over before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW you are doing the right thing, Heather. And you know what I've found? When we do our best, our kids know it, so that even though WE may feel guilty, THEY give us a lot more credit that we give ourselves. Hang in there!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling...And although this situation doesnt even compare...Iam already feeling guilty about leaving our children for 10 days when we head to Montana...I feel so guilty that Iam so close to throwing in the towel and saying "forget about it." I have come to realize we will have that guilt...no matter what the situation is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girlfriend, your kids will thank you when they are adults for making sacrifices to make their lives richer. Plus you are showing them how to be flexible and go with the flow! Hang in there. Otherwise I will get my cardboard box ready if you want to just throw in the towel;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Completely understand - and can relate. Focus on how you're helping others and the example you're setting for your kids to learn from sometime. And when it gets really bad, drink wine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know it's hard to be away, but what you haven't mentioned is all the "mom stuff" you have been able to accomplish even when you're on the road.

    I haven't forgotten:
    Driving you to the Fedex in Wilmington, NC to overnight breast milk to Baby Sissy
    You getting up super early to drive home from a meeting so you could get Big Sissy's hair done for picture day at school
    Arranging everything at the house so it will run smoothly for The Farmer while you're away and all the other reasons why you're SUPER MOM!

    These are the things your family will remember.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Web Analytics