Monday, July 5, 2010

4th of July flip flops from the pig pen

Well as you know, our 3 kids and I loaded up on Thursday night and headed to my mom's for the 4th of July weekend.  Before we left for the weekend, Big Sissy and I decided that we should take a craft for her and 3 of my nieces to work on over the weekend.  When we saw last week's sale ad at Hobby Lobby and saw that their flip flops were 50% off, we knew what we were going to make.



4 pairs of flip flops and one yard of fabric (a half yard of each kind), we were ready to create 4th of July flip flops for the girls.  (We decided Little Sissy was too little to have a pair as she would never keep them on her feet. )  We also needed a pair of pinking shears to make sure the fabric would not fray.


Basically I just cut approximately 1 inch strips of fabric with the pinking shears being sure to pink both ends with the shears as well.  After cutting the strips, I cut the strip in half so that each original strip made two 6-8 inch strips approximately.


Then the girls with the help from their moms (my sisters) and their Grammie (my mom), who also helped me cut fabric, double knotted the fabric on the flip flop strap.  This step was repeated until the entire strap was covered.  



 My nieces went with an every other approach with the 2 materials and Big Sissy decided to do each side of the flip flop in a different color.



This was a very fun activity for all even if the mom's had to do a lot of the work for my nieces as one is 4 1/2 and the other two are 2 1/2.



It was also rather inexpensive especially since the flip flops were half off.  I got each pair of flip flops for less than an $1 and the bill for both kinds of fabric was less than $8.  So for less than $10, we had 4 pairs of custom flip flops for the 4th of July.


The Girl Creative




Making

9 comments:

  1. lol. They look like they're standing in a bucket of fabric scraps. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute! What a fun girly project. That picture at the end is so adorable...sweet, sweet girls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cute! :) Seems like a good time was had by all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so cute, Heather!! See, you ARE crafty!! now when are you breaking out that sewing machine again?? lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh...that picture of your daughters is seriously tooooo cute!!! What a fun idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, look at you all patriotic and crafty. Very cute! Sounds like a great get-together activity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I didn't create this idea. We just copied something we had seen before. :-)

    Also, I must disclose that the two cute girls at the end are my nieces.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Web Analytics