Sunday, May 23, 2010

Fresh Strawberries at the pig pen

We love strawberries at this pig pen and nothing beats fresh strawberries from my mother-in-law's strawberry patch this time of year.  This weekend we got our first quart of strawberries from her strawberry patch and they were delicious. 


You really can use strawberries in several ways.  My mother-in-law made us a fresh strawberry pie earlier in the week and I have a great family recipe for a strawberry cake, but really I must admit you can't beat fresh sliced strawberries by themselves or with a little ice cream, shortcake, and/or cool whip. 


When using strawberries in any way, it is really important as it is with all fruits and vegetables that you wash and dry them really well prior to doing anything else with them.


After I washed our strawberries, I cut off the stems and sliced them into smaller pieces so they were easier to eat.


My husband and I both grew up with our families sprinkling sugar on top of the sliced strawberries to create an amazing syrup and make the strawberries just a little bit sweeter.  Sugar works quite well; however, it takes a little bit of time for it to breakdown and create the strawberry syrup which is why I prefer to use powdered sugar.


I love powdered sugar and it works amazing on strawberries.  Truly within minutes, it works to help create a syrup from the strawberries and makes them perfectly sweet. 


I just sprinkle a couple of tablespoons on top of the strawberries and add more later if needed.  You really can probably never add too much if you have a sweet tooth like me. 


I realize adding sugar of any kind may defeat the purpose of eating fruit, but it sure does make them yummy.

8 comments:

  1. mmmm, when I was a kid I'd put sugar in a bowl and just dip the strawberries as I ate them. My mom got me strawberry plants for my birthday last year, but they aren't producing yet. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, those look delicious! Can't wait til I find some Indiana-fresh berries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been dreaming about fresh strawberries! Yum! Great tip about using powdered sugar; can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look delish. I always used sugar, I will have to give powdered sugar a try next time. Can't wait to get some myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had fresh strawberries with sugar and ice cream this weekend ... yummie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, those are the most beautiful strawberries I have ever seen and the fact that they are fresh right from the garden is fantastic! I am going to dream about that strawberry pie you eluded too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, just wanted to say thanks for the Versatile Blog award. I passed on the torch this evening in my post and gave you props. Just wanted to let you know. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Web Analytics